What eyeliner for your waterline?

There are so many different eyeliners on the market for us to purchase, and it being one of the first makeup products I started to purchase I've tried a fair few myself.

I'd say I've constantly been on the hunt for the best eyeliner for the waterline - one that doesn't smudge onto my lower lash line, one that doesn't fade away quickly and will actually last on my waterline. I don't know if I have an extremely watery waterline or what but loads of my eyeliners will wear off on the outer corner of my waterline so I'm always looking to find good ones and trust me, I have probably tried out over 15 different brands/eyeliner products

I've collected a few I'd like to talk about - some being hyped about products/brands, others being hidden gems and ones to avoid

Marc Jacobs Highliner

This has definitely been a highly raved about and spoken about product on social media (or at least I have seen it spoken about everywhere). On youtube, many have claimed this product to be their holy grail and all time favourite for its formula and staying power. And for £20, you would hope it would do exactly that! I must say £20 is expensive for an eyeliner especially if you can get ones for £5 or less from the drugstore but would you be willing to spend £20 if it did an amazing job? (I would)


This eyeliner has a gel like consistency, being very smooth and creamy to use - easy to glide on and very strong in pigmentation as well. The first time I used this I was shocked with how amazing it was gliding on without tugging at the skin. The lasting power is pretty amazing as well! (It did wear off a little in my outer third of my waterline towards the end of the day)

Is it worth it? I personally think so!
They have a huge shade range, perfect for everyones taste.
Yes it is £20 but see it as an investment - how fast do you realistically finish an eyeliner? It takes me ages!

Rating out of 10: 9

Colourpop Creme Gel Liner 

This eyeliner is one to mention - I've seen it used everywhere, raved about everywhere so it was only natural for me to give in and give it a try. This eyeliner costs $5 which is pretty amazing! But does it do a good job? I have a few shades and they're all really amazing. The shade range is great for everyones taste and the lasting power is pretty good.

The black shade 'swerve' is more of a grey-black but it's still one of my most used eyeliners - I have 2 back ups for it alreadyπŸ˜‚

Do I think it's worth the price? Most definitely, you can't go wrong with $5!! The shade range is really good, the lasting power is decent and it doesn't hurt your bank balance with the price.

I definitely do recommend this one for an everyday eyeliner for the waterline and tight line. Also, I love how it's the twist style eyeliner over having to sharpen the product for more. A personal good point for me, but I know it's not for everyone!

Rating out of 10: 8

Make Up Forever Aqua Eyes

I've heard a few things about this eyeliner, mainly it being 'waterproof'. This is a typical 'traditional' eyeliner, being a sharpen pencil over a twisting eyeliner. (good for those who prefer that), but in terms of the actual product itself, it does a decent job, however I did notice that I had to go over my waterline a few times to build up the intensity of the colour.

If you're from the UK you can purchase Makeup Forever from Debenhams for £14, which is a pricer eyeliner but still not the worst priced one. (This one isn't the aqua XL one, I'm not sure the difference between the two but I assume the XL one will have a more lasting waterproof power to it?)

Although this is quite a known eyeliner/spoken about product, I do think it's been a bit over hyped as it didn't perform so well on myself - I was definitely disappointed with the lack of pigmentation (especially as it costs £14 and I know drugstore eyeliners for a fraction of the price performs better)

Rating out of 10: 5 - it's not the worst but it's definitely not the best


Kiko Smart Eyes 

Personally I feel Kiko is a very underrated brand - they do the best nail polishes and they're super cheap, and a lot of their makeup is incredible too. 
This eyeliner costs £2.50 and comes in a range of colours, I opted for the brown one for days when I want a more natural eyeliner look as opposed to a heavy look. 

This is a traditional pencil formula and it swatches okay. However it doesn't perform well on the waterline for me at all, it barely shows up and ideally I don't want to spend ages going back and forth my waterline for some pigmentation to show up

Rating out of 10: 3

NYX Tres Jolie

I purchased this eyeliner based off of KathleenLights' review on the product and her hype over it. This one is a gel like consistency, and swatches so well. I purchased this one for £9, which for a drugstore brand is on the pricer side.

I was so looking forward to using this after hearing Kathleen speak so highly of it as one of her all time favourite drug store products but I was so disappointed with it - it almost didn't show up on my waterline even though it swatches on my hand so dark and pigmented!

The odd thing is, some times I would go back and forth over my waterline in hopes for some pigmentation and colour, and the odd chance of it happening, it shows up on my waterline but then when I try again theres no more pigment... I'm not sure if I managed to get a faulty product or if I just have really a watery waterline or what but this product was definitely a let down.

Rating out of 10: 2



NYX Slim Eye Pencil

This product I purchased off of feelunique costed £2.50, it's actually a traditional pencil eyeliner, and is said to be able to use for your brows as well. Amazingly, this product comes in over 20 different shades but being boring old me I picked up the black and medium brown shade. It has basic packaging but personally I don't need my eyeliners to have fancy af packaging - as long as it does the job well!

It actually works decently as an eyebrow pencil but also okay as an eyeliner for the waterline - it does the job but isn't the most pigmented. Especially the black which swatches a little faint/grey.

But for £2.50, how can I complain? It isn't the product I reach for, but more of a product I force myself/remind myself to use.


Rating out of 10: 6



Rodial Smokey Eye Pencil

 I actually got this product free in a magazine along with the lipliner, which was worth £36 total- what an amazing bargain!!! The eyeliner itself retails for £17, which is definitely on the expensive side of things. The packaging is a sort of matte packaging, and the formula is almost creamy gel-like (not entirely but almost like it).

I hadn't tried out the brand before so I was excited to test out the product and get a first impression on the brand - and first impressions: I love it! It stays put so well and applies pigmented with ease and lasts for a super long time.

I am highly impressed with the brand and I can't wait to try out more from them!

Rating out of 10: 9


Sephora Contour Eye Pencil


This one I purchased one time when I went abroad to Paris, it was roughly 8/9 Euros which is a decent price for an eyeliner. I purchased the brown shade and it's a very nice natural brown for an everyday look which I love.


This eyeliner claims to be 12 hour wear and also waterproof which I definitely will have to disagree with. It does have a good lasting power but I'm not sure about 12 hours (probably by around 8-10 hours it starts to fade considerably), and I haven't tried out the waterproof claim properly but I have managed to get the eyeliner off with water before/and just by rubbing it from a hand swatch.

But besides those claims I do feel this is a really nice product to have. I'm super happy I got the brown for a more natural look (this was actually the first brown eyeliner I've bought so I'm happy it worked well and looked nice

Rating out of 10: 7




There are sooooo many eyeliners on the market, and a few I haven't formally mentioned/given an in depth description about - but I do think the Kiko Double Dare eyeliner is amazing as well as the Maybelline Master Drama Kohl eyeliner (that was my holy grail for a while), and I would definitely stay away from the E.L.F eyeliner (twist top skinny eyeliner) because that seriously smudges to your lower lash line in a matter of seconds...

I hope you've enjoyed reading this lengthy post - let me know your thoughts! Have you ever tried any of the eyeliners I've mentioned?

What are your favourite eyeliners?

Lots of love!
Xoxo

Comments

  1. I swear I have literally been testing out eyeliners for my waterline my whole life and I just need to find a holy grail right about now! So fed up of them smudging and fading it's the most annoying thing! Will have to check out some of these ones and I'll have to let you know if I find something amazing haha!

    Ellie x

    elliesbitsofbeauty.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Literally, story of my life!!
      Hope you found this post useful! Let me know how it goes for you! Xxx

      Delete
  2. Ahh what an amazing post, such a great idea and really helpful, it must have taken you a while! I definitely need to give some of these a go and it's handy to know which to avoid! I've actually used soap and glory eyeliner's the last few years and they're pretty good! Would be nice to try some other ones though :) Clare xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aw thank you Clare!
      Let me know how it goes for you! I need to try that soap and glory eyeliner! Sounds fab

      Xxx

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts